Our intention with this role, as with other volunteer roles, is that this be an opportunity to live and deepen your practice in the dharma through volunteer service, with a group of kindred friends.
Planning committee members will work with other committee members to plan sangha activities, guided by our sangha vision:
Our vision is to create a community of inclusivity and belonging in which we learn, practise, and integrate the Early Buddhist and Theravada teachings of wisdom, compassion, and lovingkindness, in our daily lives and in our communities.
Good communication and teamwork skills, dedication to the dharma and to practice, and a regular presence in the sangha activities are needed for this role. For this role we also ask that you be from the Saskatoon area, and geographically able to meet in person. Most of us take turns chairing and taking minutes for our meetings.
Most often, people come onto the committee and then see organically which areas they wish to be active in.
Some of the areas the committee oversees include:
- Event planning and coordination (sangha walks, potlucks, retreat logistics)
- Community building and outreach (volunteer coordinator, care and connection)
- Finance and accounting
- Information and technology (website, registration system, online meetings, audio/video recordings)
- Marketing and communication (newsletters, social media, event promotion)
- Young adult programming
- Strategic planning
We ask for a two year commitment, which you can renew at the end of that time. Of course if you feel you need to step down earlier, that is completely fine.
- We welcome you to let us know that you are interested, by filling in the Expression of Interest on our website, and then one of our committee members will contact you to have a more in-depth chat. After that, if both parties are still interested, a second meeting with more members of the committee will be arranged.
- If the SIMC planning committee and the applicant are both in agreement, the planning committee will then invite the applicant to join.
Expression of Interest Form: